Image Map

Wednesday 7 May 2014

DofE practice expedition

Hey guys so I've got like 5 GCSE's coming up in the next month and a half so I apologise for neglecting my blog a bit but i'm completely bogged down by school work at the moment! So last weekend I went with about 30 others from my year on our Duke of Edinburgh practice expedition! This involved a day's walking, navigating an unknown route, setting up camp, staying overnight and navigating our way back to the school. It was such a great weekend, I honestly haven't laughed so much in ages and it was great to get to know some people in my year that I don't speak to much.

(my walking group, minus Katie and Kayleigh who'd made the mile trek to the portaloos)

(our lovely camp)

(roasting marshmallows on the campfire)

Unfortunately we weren't the first team to make it to the forest we were camping in, the boys team got there 10 minutes before us! But we we had all managed to get our tents up, meals cooked and a campfire going before the other team of girls turned up, 2 and a half hours later! It's safe to say they got a bit lost! I also managed to slip and fall on my arse straight into mud in front of mine and the boys groups, yep I was as smooth as normal. It was good though because we all just laughed it off and about 7 other people did the same thing later on anyway! I actually really got into the outdoors thing, I learnt off the others how to get a fire going and one of the boys showed me how to use a penknife to whittle a stick ready for marshmallow toasting, it's safe to say I'm definitely no Bear Grylls though!


(nice shoes get you nowhere in the forest)



( me-on the right- and my walking buddy Patricia)

It was such a good experience all though my rucksack did bruise my shoulders, ouchhh. It was so good just for everyone to get on and chat to eachother, we all stayed up til 12 round the campfire, toasting marshmallows and singing (very badly may I add). There was no divide between the girls either, which there often is at school as we all looked the same, makeup-less and muddy with jumpers, hoodies, leggings and mighty attractive walking boots on! Overall it was just a really positive experience and I'm so excited for our assessed expedition in June! I'd definitely recommend doing it to anyone, as all the sections have been really good fun and actually rewarding to do! Thanks for reading this post guys! Find me on the links below!

Love
Georgie xx

Twitter- @geo_lawson
Instagram- @geo_leighh
E-mail- geo.leigh4@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment